One down and 19 14 to go! Yes indeed I finished my first bag from the book - so proud of myself. I actually finished 2 bags this weekend (although one bag was one that I started weeks ago prior to my bobbin winder dying on me). So now with a Sidewinder and motivation I got a lot done this weekend.
The first bag I chose to do is called the Antique Print Tote/Shoulder bag. Its kind of a belted bucket bag. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it doesn't have a paper pattern so it took a little extra time to measure out each peice. Ok, confession I have never liked to measure; truth be told I would usually either skip this type of pattern or just round the measurements to suit my needs. However, in this instance I took the time and actually measured, right down to eighth!
The instructions are good, however not for the beginner as they are not very descriptive and pictures are limited. Overall a very good pattern; even though I did make some adjustments. The inside pocket is a little on the small side so next time I'll adjust the measurement so that it can accomodate a cell phone and other such devices. Since this is a deep bag I also added a side clip where I can attach keys so they aren't floating at the bottom of the bag. I also adjusted the larger shoulder strap slightly by adding a couple of metal rings at the base of the strap.
For reference here are pictures from the book of what the bag was supposed to look like.